Friday, June 6, 2008

A Different Perspective

I was in a park behind my son's home in Colorado when I noticed that one of the the trees in the park wasn't looking too healthy. I walked past it several times that day and each time looked at it wondering if there was a way to photograph it so that it would at least be recorded for history before it was removed as I was sure it would happen soon. Then the answer came to me the next day as I was preparing to do some family pictures in the park. I took a picture of it with the sun coming over my shoulder so it could be seen how it was dying and how it would normally be viewed by people passing by it during the day. Then I did a shot into the sun so that it would add a style of suspense to the image that could give a feel of a day or night time shot. This made for a neat image because the branches were without a lot of needles and would thus let a greater amount of the sun be seen through them. (It could even viewed as a full moon shining through the clouds.) It made quite a difference in the image of just a dying tree by looking at it from a different perspective.
I just added this next couple of images today because they also show a little different perspective as made in photoshop. I was practicing using the pen tool in photoshop for selecting parts of an image to remove and place on their own background. The second picture of the flower was the result. The perspective here is not in the angle or direction of the image but rather the decision to change the background in an image to give it a different feel and appearance.I used a few filters on the first layer of the image after separating out the flower from the background. The filter appears to be a plastic type filter where in reality it was "clouds". I then took that layer and removed the saturation and changed the opacity and a couple of other things as well to achieve what I have here. I doubt that I could repeat it with the same results because , well, it was just an experiment. I might be able to go to the history of actions as recoded in the metadata and come close but even then I doubt it would appear the same. So the lesson to be learned here is to save copies along the way in an experiment and you might even get several images that are fun to display in an art show and they would all be from the same original image.

2 comments:

Genny said...

Wow I can't believe how different you made the same tree look in those two shots. You are amaaing!

Leesa said...

You are right. Weeds can be beautiful, especially when seen through your lenses.