Sunday, October 26, 2008

Wild Things

Photographing wild things I believe has as much to do with luck as it does with skill. Obviously you have to develop the skill sets so that when the lucky part comes along you can capture the sheer glory and beauty of the moment but that moment can come at any time and you have to be ready.
In the following images I was intent on taking pictures of the ducks on a stream that I had passed by a few days earlier and had not had time to stop. I went back on an early saturday, cold, morning. As I drove past the stream I noticed a lot of ducks in one area so I pulled off the road, out of sight from the ducks, and got my equipment ready and then went over to where they were lazily swimming in the brisk morning air. There was a nice mist coming from off the water which was an added bonus but one that I had hoped would be there. What I wasn't expecting however was that the moment that I appeared in their view they would take to flight and the lazy attitude of swimming that I had hoped to catch would be gone in an instant. I threw my camera up to my eye and started firing as fast as I could and when I looked at the pictures later was pleasantly surprised by the image lady luck had put in front of my lens. I don't think that I could repeat these images again but am glad that I have them.



1 comment:

Alma said...

Wow! You did it again. Call it Lady Luck, but I call it a great camera finger!