Monday, October 6, 2008

Depth of Field

One of the principles of photography that has always kind of baffled me is that of Depth of Field.
So every now and then I just go out and practice doing it to see what I can come up with. The sunflower and the barn however have been the easiest to use to see the differences of any pictures that I have ever shot.

If you look closely at this first image everything appears to be in focus.  It was taken with a slower shutter speed and a smaller in physical size or larger in numeric value of the shutter opening. I don't know the specific setting but considering that I was doing this with an old Canon A-1 film camera the Aperture would have been f-22 while the shutter speed probably around 1/60th of a second. Light going in slowly through the small opening in the lens.




Then with the next two I would have reversed the settings using an f2.8 aperture and probably 1/400th of a second exposure. Now these are not the numbers actually used since I don't have my readings from the camera like I can have now with the metadata that is automatically recorded in a digital camera but they do represent the dramatic change in settings that would have occurred. A lot of light instantly through a large lens opening.

The other major differences then also in these two pictures is where I would have focused the lens. In this one that is next I focused on the sunflower.


And in this image the focus was set on the barn.Most of the small point and shoot camera's are built with the small aperture and then the speed set automatically by the camera.  It is the lack of opportunity to use the principles of photography in those little camera's that has always made me have to have a camera that I could adjust manually.  That is when photography not only becomes more challenging but also a lot more fun.

1 comment:

Leesa said...

I really love this picture of the barn and sunflower. I love anything rustic and old-fashioned, as you well know, but this was especially lovely.