Wednesday, April 16, 2008

My first Blog

Just a little note of introduction.

I am a Professional Photographer (in my spare time away from a daily job with Provo Craft) doing mostly weddings, portraits and families. I love the outdoors however and have literally thousands of images from camps that I have taken with scouts through my 40 plus years of being involved in The Boy Scouts of America organization. As a Scoutmaster I would always have my camera with me and then show slide shows of the camps after we returned home and held our next Court of Honor. One of the most common comments that I would receive after the slide show would be from my scouts and it would go something like this, "When and where did you get the picture of that deer?" My reply was always the same, "While you were asleep and the camp was still quiet." I then would explain the significance of getting up early and being quiet so that they could see the beauty of nature that I always tried to show them and which they always missed because of being too loud or lazy.

Whenever I go on trips though I have made a common mistake of never leaving enough time to just stop and take pictures along the road. I have seen easily 500 times the number of pictures that I do have that I wish I did have. I see things to photograph all over the place and always get home wishing I had taken the time needed to just get that picture of a simple wonder of the earth and creation.

I have been thinking about adding a blog to my life outside of the blogs I go to and read each day. I have been sending out Good Morning emails to a number of people and finding that they enjoy having an image that I have taken to start their day. I have gotten quite a collection of them over the past few months while doing this so I found that I wanted a place where I could also post comments about the images that would also become a history of my life when later saved to my computer and possibly viewed by my children and grandchildren. (I think the latter would appreciate them more though since they were not involved so closely with their dad as he took the pictures.)

 I will endeavor to load only pictures that will be of a high quality and worth looking at each day.  I will also try to add an explanation of where and possibly why I took the photo. The image that I added to my blog permanently (or at least until I decide to change it) was taken in the Columbia River Gorge near one of the famous falls in that gorge. I believe it is spelled Multnomah Falls but I can easily be proven to be incorrect.  (I will correct it later if needed.) I was just walking back to my car and looked down the stream from the falls and as I crossed the bridge leading to the parking lot. I saw that scene and knew it would be a keeper. 

I hope to inspire you to always have with you a camera,  to stop,  recognize and take a photo of your own. Maybe you can capture some of those that I have missed. With the ease of the digital photo world you too can capture beautiful images of your own.


3 comments:

Marsha said...

Sounds like a good place to put your pics. I look forward to seeing what you post.

kiddle97 said...

WHY didn't I get the "good photog" genes? I love your work.

Leesa said...

Multnomah Falls is correct. It is a gorgeous place, isn't it? But I saw the biggest slug I have ever seen while hiking up the trail there. That was a few years ago, about 35 to be exact! Kent, we owe you many thanks for being the family historian through your photography, even though most of us hide when you come near. It is just that we want you to take pictures of everyone else, not us! And your scenery shots are wonderful. I love the blog. I hope you will allow my comments to join the prestigous ones you have already admitted to your site, even though they are humble in nature. :)