Monday, May 12, 2008

A view from above.

I came across these photos when looking for the clouds from my trip to Texas via Arizona. Due to a storm between SLC and Phoenix AZ we had to fly around it to get there which took me over very familiar territory from my youth. Below are two images I took out of a series that were taken from the jet as we basically flew along US Highway 40 from Heber to Vernal before turning southwest to go to AZ.

This first is of of Starvation Reservoir near Duchesne, Utah where I grew up. My Father's family owned some of the property just below where the dam was built and my Father-in-law was involved in helping to build the dam.

This image is of Duchesne and also our family farm. You have to know where to look but from the plane I could see our farm that was to the east of Duchesne as well as all of the country that I use to hike in and run across as a youth. This image isn't a large enough resolution to really see our farm but it is located in an almost straight line down the top edge of the wing and about a third of the distance to the other side of the image following that line. The large flat area comprising most of the middle to lower part of the picture is called Blue Bench. It looks pretty dry and in this case looks really are not deceiving.

No comments: