Monday, October 4, 2010

What kind of spider is this?

Does anyone know what kind of spider this is? It spun a web between two of my tomato plants and it wasn't really in the road so I have left it and just watched it most of the summer. I have seen it catch and eat one huge grasshopper and the rest of the time it has sat in the middle of the web 99 % of the time. I have seen it moving once but it generally just stays in the same place. That at least made it easy to get some very close shots of it. Anyway I would love to know what it is.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

They have a similar one here in Virginia that they call a Garden Spider.

Hope you're doing well!

Kent Poulson said...

Stuart told me today that they have them in Oregon also and call them a yellow garden spider. We looked up some images on google and that is what it appears to be. Quite the spider.