Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Choose a Subject

I love old relics, I am becoming one so I relate to them.
Years ago I met a lady in Stephenville, Teaxs whom I still adore to this day. She was an author, married to a photographer, who at the time of my knowing her was living in Stephenville while her son was attending college there as a freshman. Her husband was overseas at the time filming a movie so I never ever had a chance to meet him. This lady was fun to talk to and she knew so much about the area as well. I asked her one day after reading a segment of her new children's book that she was writing why she knew so much about the area since I had found out she had only lived there for a short time. She explained that in writing books there is also a lot of research that is necessary in order to make a book sound real and believable even though it is totally fiction. She had to study an area and find out all she could so that when she wrote she could include places and things to make the story come alive for children. She had a lot of knowledge that I knew I wanted to tap. When she discovered my love for photography she was all about telling me everything she knew there from her husbands experiences as well as her own since she also was pretty good with a camera. I don't remember a lot of it today but I think a lot of what she told me does show up in my photography even though the direction must come from a subconscious memory of her discussions with me. One thing has always stood out in my mind that I do remember though. She explained how her husband had first become known in the photography industry. He wanted to do a calendar and after a lot of thought decided to do a calendar about electrical transmission line poles. He went across the United States just photographing power poles and then produced a calendar from the images he had taken. Well, my desire to produce a calendar has never been that great but the thought of getting images gathered around a central theme has always stuck with me. So today I am posting a few from one of my relic sets. I have always been fascinated by wind mills and so as often as possible I have taken photographs of them. Here are a few.




2 comments:

Marsha said...

Those are really cool - you ought to add the ones in Spanish Fork canyon as a contrast even though they are not by any means relics - in fact they look like they came straight from a science fiction novel. Hope you had a good trip to Colorado. Love ya - and I admire your talent in photography.

Marsha said...

Those are really cool - you ought to add the ones in Spanish Fork canyon as a contrast even though they are not by any means relics - in fact they look like they came straight from a science fiction novel. Hope you had a good trip to Colorado. Love ya - and I admire your talent in photography.